Search This Blog

Tuesday, August 29, 2017

Discovering Canada's First Railway Tunnel [ & my Hometown Summer Favourites List ]

It felt like we had traveled back in time when we attended the Grand (re)Opening of Canada's First Railway Tunnel !
The Downtown core of Brockville was filled with the Modern appeal & swarms of people crowding towards the Massive Duck & Ribfest. Simultaneously taking place, a celebration for the Re-Opening of Phase 1 of Canada's First ever rail way tunnel. The back drop, a Traditional Carnival equipped with a carousel & vintage Ferris Wheel, which was also celebrating that weekend (its 100th year)!

(if you follow on Instagram you may likely saw the photo of my first bowl of Dip & Dots...
which got pumped out of my hand & ended up on the ground like a pile of very sad melting glitter)

Being that we live so close & will have lots of opportunities to go after it isn't quite so busy... when we set out in the morning to the Market we hadn't intended to walk through the Tunnel. We had been watching all the work take place though since moving downtown & wanted to experience the unveiling of it all!

We hadn't considered that by placing ourselves near the front to take it all in we were also some what volunteering ourselves to enter & walk the Tunnel... As the crowd of people behind us pushed us up towards the opening we realized now was our opportunity & so I am proud to say (& have the sticker to prove ;) ) that Cody & I were two of the first 100 people to walk it!
Above Photos ^  By: Cody Humble
It truly felt like we had traveled back in time while walking on the board walk. Surrounded by the Historical Architecture of downtown Brockville, the cobble stone street corners, & the Market (which has been in existence in one from or another even prior to the original opening of the Railway Tunnel back in 1860!) & abundance of local & Family owned businesses, I relished in the beauty of my Hometown.
I linked some of my Absolute Favourite Spots below! 
(Please Note: This is in No Way a Sponsored List, & all opinions are my own! 
... & No I didn't eat all of these Sweets in one day, it is a amalgamation of past photos)


The Farmers Market is home to so many amazing Local Business including but certainly not limited to Primrose & Willow which I talked about a bit in my DIY Mini Vase Floral Wall Hanging  post.
Gibson Family Farm (which I could not find a link for) they make the most delicious Maple Sugar & BEST Dark Amber Maple Syrup I have ever tasted!
O'Mally Kourt Fudgery has a flavour of Fudge for EVERYONE! & if for some unheard of reason that you do not like Fudge... they have just about every other Sweet Treat you can fathom too!

At Richards Coffee House I recommend the Frozen Coffee, while Cody goes for the Fresh Fruit Smoothie!
Sam & Harry's Place is a bit of a ways away from the Downtown core however it is worth the short trip up King St for what I consider to be the BEST Chip Truck in town ... Not to mention the Fact they have a Snow Cone Shack in the back, A bean bag toss , FREE Water & Coffee.. & the most generous and kind owner(s)!
Cowan's Dairy Bar is essentially a Hometown Hero... while this business isn't even downtown there was just no way I could make a list of my Favourite Spots & NOT include this heaven of a place!

The Tunnel is FREE to the Public to Enter & is Open Daily until September 30th from 9am - 9pm! If  this hasn't already been crossed off your Summer Bucket List...Don't miss your chance before they close it again to start work on Phase 2 & if you happen to check out a New spot off my list, be sure to leave a comment about what you got!
 The perfect excuse to sneak in one more Summer activity with your Friends & Family OR if you haven't made plans yet for Labour Day! Head downtown before back to School! 
Don't forget your walking shoes!

3 comments:

  1. I love Canada and a few times I went over the great lake to visit it, but I wasnt aware of that Place, so thank you for telling - got to visit it next time I'm there

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, when it re-opens this Spring it will be better than ever !!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete