Search This Blog

Monday, September 18, 2017

DIY Halloween 'BOO' Cross Stitch

I understand that this may seem pre-mature;
However I struggle with this unique balance where I both ~ refuse to accept that it is Fall prior to September 22nd & the fact that I pretty much start thinking of Halloween the second I hear the first leaf crackle under my toe. So I decided on this years Halloween Theme. One where I could have the best of both worlds!

UnDead Mermaid & Unicorns... It's going to be the perfect merging of everything pretty & pastel ... gone gruesomely wrong right!

Below I have shared my inspiration & if you scroll to the end you will find a Written Tutorial for the Mermaid Skull - BOO Cross Stitch.

What You Will Need:
  • I picked up this little 4" diameter Loom for under $5
    I liked the look of the round wooden lume, so I decided to just keep it in ( I simply gathered the excess piece of fabric towards the back and secured it with safety pin - so still have the option to Frame it in the future if I decided that was something I wanted to do) 
  • Skull Bead - I took apart this skull necklace - from some Witch costume of the past maybe?
  • Cross Stitch / Edging Floss in a mix of colours
    (Neon Yellow, Pink, Violet, Teal Blue, Light Violet)
  • Seashell Charm 
  • Fabric - while they do sell great fabrics intended to be stitched into - I went with a piece of one of Cody's old T-shirts... 
  • Large Needle
  • Scissors
  • Metal Jewelry Fasteners 
  • Pliers
How To:

You are going to want to begin by securing your Fabric into your loom using the screw pin on top.


I suggest using a pencil first and gently writing out your word or phase to ensure you have the spacing right. While you can go back & un-stitch stitches... it isn't the easiest thing & it can take a long time!
Select a colour & cut a length about twice the length as you feel confident stitching with - Or use a series of smaller pieces to switch the colours as you so chose!
I just went with a straight stitch & kept the stitches from pulling by going in every other stitch & then passing back underneath the previous to fill the gap prior .

To create a small Tassel wrap your coloured thread around a fork. Oh ya I guess you'll also need a fork. Feed a piece of thread through the top prong & tie tight!
Before removing from the fork use Pliers to add a Jewelry Fastener to the top of the Tassel.
Cut the other end of the Loop to create your Tassel.

Lastly... Thread your Skull bead if needed and secure that your tassel & charm to the screw at the top of the Loom using one of your Jewelry Fastenings and Pliers.

This project is a bit time consuming & is a great evening // before bed project if you are someone like me who finds sitting down // unwinding a challenge!

No comments:

Post a Comment