Search This Blog

Friday, October 27, 2017

Undead Mermaid Coffin Wreath & Halloween Decor

This year I wanted to switch it up from the traditional Halloween colour scheme. Summer was so slow to arrive & with how mild the start of Fall has been I wanted to add a Pop of colour & whimsy! We spend a lot more time in the space in the Fall compared to the Summer, but I wasn't quite ready to say goodbye to the Beach ... or fully invest in the Deep Fall Tones. 
I decided on an Undead Mermaid Inspired Theme. I figured this was the best of both worlds allowing me to include neon and pastel colours, as well as things that would hold onto that Summer mood a bit longer, like Seashells & Coral! While also leaving room for me to introduce as much or as little Horror / Creepy Halloween vibes as I wanted! 

I do love the classic look of the Traditional Fall Colours, and Orange and Black Halloween classics. Like not wanting to fully invest in Fall, I also didn't want to invest too much into a slew of new / different decor pieces. I decided to up-cycle a few items I already had that I hadn't made use of in years prior, because while I do carry-over some items year to year, I do like to switch things up. My rule of thumb is that if it wasn't used in that season the year prior it likely will not be used again (as is) & is ready to be re-worked into something new!
Some thing's take more work than others... I challenged myself at the start of this project to make use of what I already had as MUCH as possible, included but not limited to using packaging as a base.


Supplies Needed:
~ Needle
~ Scissors
~ Pom Poms
~ Cardboard

~ Paint Brushes ~ Small Notebook
~ Finishing Thread
~ Paint (mix of colours)
~ Hot Glue Gun & Refills

~ Plastic Skull & Bone Beads

How To: 



I simultaneously gave a quick sprucing to a bunch of super inexpensive plastic mini pumpkins I found in my Holiday storage simply by applying a few coats of paint in pastel colours.

 The Wreath was made with deconstructed pieces of this weird Skull Necklace Thingy I also found in storage - not even sure why I had this or where it came from, maybe some forgotten costume of the past.

Painting Prep

Step 1. After taking the Skull & Bone Beads I gave them a few coats of paint with the same pastel shades!

Step 2. The Wooden Coffin will also need to be painted. ( I went with a bright blue with a teal undertone )

Creating Details 

Step 1. Using a Needle & your choice of finishing thread, thread Pom Poms, as well as Skull, & Bone beads.

Step 2. 
Continue this process until you have created 2-4 various lengths of hanging whimsy (as seen below)

Tassels Made Easy. 

Step 1.
Wrap some finishing thread around a notebook about the same length width as you would like your tassel to be long. Wrap more, or less to create a larger, or smaller Tassel.


Step 2. tuck a piece of finishing thread under & pull through. Drag to the bind of the book & tie tight to secure.

Step 3. (not pictured) use scissors to cut your tassel Free, Fold over at the secured point and wrap in a small piece of finishing thread of detail ribbon to finish. 


Prepping the Coffin 
Once painted I was free to add the details of whimsy, I had originally planned on including some seashells, but the ones I had ended up being a bit too heavy & wasn't ready to risk the whole thing smashing to the floor (or onto my cat who often lays RIGHT in the doorway) I added some bright feathers, which I just really liked the colours of & the way the softness looked against the crudeness of the casket (not something you read often here, or anywhere)

Step 1. Using Hot Glue I quite literally glued the piece of card-stock that my PomPoms had originally come in to the back of the coffin across the top!

Step 2. The feather were actually Clips, which made attaching them very simple!

Steps 3/4.  Cut off ANY access / exposed cardboard from both sides (don't want to ruin the illusion)

Step 5. Using your glue Gun again, apply a small dollop of glue where you would like your 'details' to hang from.

Step 6. Tie a small loop of finishing thread and secure it to the top (back) of the Coffin to hang.



Step 7. Write a cute / creepy / top secret message inside for anyone who dares to Open!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment