Search This Blog

Sunday, March 15, 2015

Kiss Me I'm Irish - DIY St. Patrick's Day Decor

Taking a quick Hiatus from this months blog theme of Spring Cleaning to do a little St. Patrick's Day celebrating! 
Almost all of the decorations I created for this were done using just paper, paint, scissors, tape, hemp twine, and a pencil. I am a firm believer that decorating for the Holidays is absolutely something that can be done on even the tightest budget & does not have to mean going out and spending a ton of money!
Re-arranging and Re-purposing decorative items you already have in your home is a great way to switch up your home decor. Everything you see here is something that I thought would work well for the theme & has just been pulled from somewhere else in our home!

Themed Paintings

My intentions with this project were to create pieces that I could re-use and incorporate back into my home in other ways after St. Patrick's Day had passed. I decided on 'Kiss Me I'm Irish'  as the over all theme to my Decorations this year, which made it easy to come up with designs that I already have future plans for! 

  • The Green Black and Gold painting was one of my first attempts at abstract painting, & I'm actually pretty happy with how it came out! 
  • The 'Kiss Me I'm Irish' & 'Luck be a Lady' paintings were both super simple to do! I started by flat painting the card stock gold, & wrote on the cute quotes using my trusty Paint Pen! (I feel like these have made their way into every tutorial I do since having discovered them)
  • Lastly I created the Black and White striped Kisses painting. I started by measuring out my stripes every 2 inches starting a 1/2 inch from the top of the sheet. I painted them using a disposable cosmetic sponge - if you want it to look abstract or imperfect a suggestion is to line up one side of your sponge with the line and then using one long stroke draw it out across the sheet giving it a natural gradient effect.
  • The Gold Clover was one that I created last year & kept a tutorial for it can be found HERE.

  • Garlands / Bunting 

    • Paper Buntings are one of the most simple and easy decorations to create, but there is just something about their classic design that I love! I created this Four Leaf Clover & Gold Coin bunting using gold & green card stock - As you can see in the photos below, I didn't actually have either when I sat down to make this, so instead I painted a few white sheets gold & cut up an old Bristol Board. I found a simple template of a four leaf clover using Google, which I just traced out onto the green bristol board. I drew out all of the Gold coins by tracing the inside of a roll of Washi Tape. After I had cut out all of the pieces - this was the most time consuming part of all of it - I used said Washi tape to secure the Gold coins, & Four leaf clovers to a length of Hemp rope. 

    • There is no denying the fact that I am totally and completely in love with Tassel Garlands - a wise women once said to me "It's just not a Party without Tassels" & I couldn't agree with her more! This Black one is actually from above our bed. As much as I am a true lover of bright and vibrant tassels, I have kind of been obsessed with this all black one since having made!
    Tassel Garlands are available for purchase or custom order in the Upcy Shop  - or - if you're crafty & would prefer to Do It Yourself you can find a complete tutorial on how to create your own HERE

    Happy St. Patrick's Day & Remember to ALWAYS...

    Dream Big Sparkle More   Shine Bright

    No comments:

    Post a Comment