Search This Blog

Monday, June 8, 2015

10 Hair & Makeup Trends that have com back from the 90's

15 years have come and past since the Hay-Day that was the 90's & that seemed to have been just enough time to cause a flood of nostalgia resulting in a HUGE wave of returning 90's trends!
This week on the Blog I am going to share my favourite 90's trends in Makeup, Hair & Fashion, as well as some that I hope Never Return. First up I will be sharing 
my Top Picks on returning Cosmetic & Hair styles, tips on how you can achieve them!
  1. Deep Berry & Dark Matte Lips: 
    This look was gorgeous then & is gorgeous now!
    To me there is nothing quite like a deep berry red lip!
  2. Lip Liner: 
    Lip Liner can be a great cosmetic tool to create a nice clean line, seal in lipstick, enhance lips for a fuller look, & take a neutral lip up a notch... when used properly that is, just try to avoid replicating Pamela Andersons' look! 
  3. Iridescent Makeup:
    This is a technique can be achieved very easily with the Arbonne Sheer Glow Highlighter, & can be applied to absolultely any part of the face for a beautiful result! Some of my favourite places to apply it is anywhere I would typically highlight (under the eyes the bridge of the nose etc) the inner corner of the eye, below the brow bone, on your lips to create an ombre effect/ on the cupids bow to enhance size & shape!  
  4.  Blue-eye shadow:
    Less is MORE when it comes to pulling off blue eye-shadows, try lining your upper lash line with Blue Slate, or gently sweeping it along the outer portion & crease of your lid & then sweeping Plum along the center of your eye & lower lash line as shown above for a cool smokey effect!
  5. Natural Bold brows:
    I love love love the fact that overly maintained brows are over & natural/fuller eye brows are finally getting their chance to shine! 
  6.  Messy  / Tossled hair or BEACH waves & big blow outs:
    I am all about hair volume.. the more the merrier, I personally LOVE the 'THEN' look I selected for this! It's all about bigger is better in my book when it comes to hair, but right now it is all about a more relaxed tossled beach wave look. To create this look, apply a good quality Texturing Mousse that will add control but is also flexible! 
  7.  The Center Part:
    Because having the same haircut as your childhood crush cant be bad?! I love that it's all about the center part right now, mostly because I have spent the majority of my life fighting a natural center part that I have now set free!
  8.  Accent Braids: 
    Braids are everywhere right now, they can be worn relaxed & loose, or tight & chic, & are a fun & easy way to take your hairstyle up a notch! More on This To Come; try to be patient with me though, as I have something completely NEW in mind!
  9.  Flower Crowns:
    These are back with a vengeance it seems & popping up everywhere from Festivals to Weddings in just about every shape, colour & size imaginable! Even princesses are wearing them. My love for them is no secret! If you'd like you can check out some my own Upcy Flower Crown designs HERE.
  10. Scrunchies:
    Now I am well aware that many of you may feel as though these belong in the below category of  'Never To Return' but I have absolutely NO shame in my Scrunchie game; Besides the fact that I really do think they look cute, they are SUPER functional (where all my curly headed girls at?!) they just don't get tangled dent or frey your hair the way a typical hair elastic(s) do.
Never To Return
  1.  Two shades too light 'Cover-Up':
     This is so hard to talk about without sounding a little blunt here, & maybe we all won't blog about it admit it... but I think we all know what I am referring to here, for some reason the makeup of the time in the 90's was, ghostly, No contouring, No highlighting, No freckles, but occasional obnoxiously overly bright blush. The look could be closely compared to the makeup worn during the Elizabethan era. There is nothing quite like the look of when ones face(make-up) does not match the colour of ones body. - think Goldie Locks and the Three Bears - Not to dark, Not to light, Just Right!  I think the fact it was most often referred to as 'Cover-Up' in the 90's speaks for it's self, that really did seem to be the goal.. Thankfully Foundations have come a LONG way in the past 15years! 
  2. Butterfly Clips:
    I am probably guiltier than most 90's girls for over use of these nasty things... It was a moment of Freedom for me when I started styling my own hair (keep in mind that my Mom is VERY talented in this area, she would do French braids of any kind & top them all with the cutest bows, But I did not appreciate this then.. & for some reason felt as though sticking on every last one of these I could get my hands on was the best way to express myself... though Hilary Duff  Lizzy Mcguire can seriously pull of anything, including plastic hair accessories!
    Thank you for browsing; Next up I will be sharing my favourite returning 90's fashion trends, including metallic temporary tattoos!!
Dream Big Sparkle More Shine Bright

2 comments:

  1. Very cute...I too love the 90s!! My last DIY was very 90s inspired!!

    ReplyDelete