Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 15, 2014

Halloween - Arachnophobia Nest Wreath

True to form, the very first Halloween Tutorial I am going to share with you 
is how to make your own Halloween Themed Wreath to dress up your Front Door 
OR use as a Party/Wall decor. 
I have A few more Halloween themed DIY Party Decorations & Wall Decor Ideas coming your way for the entire month of October, so keep your eyes peeled..
Arachnophobia Nest Wreath By: Upcy

What you'll need:

  • recycled newspapers/advertisements
  • scissors
  • tape (of any kind)
  • Black Feather Boa(s) (the number needed will depending on the size of your wreath - I used 3 to create the one shown here).
  • small decorative spiders (can be found at any Dollar or Craft store, or anywhere Halloween decorations are sold)
  • Any other decorations you choose to add, I added a small cluster of dark purple Flowers as well as added purple and black glitter detailing to the spiders. 
  • hot glue gun
  • glue-stick refills

How to Create your Arachnophobia Nest Wreath


Step 1. Building your basic heart shape
Using Recycled news papers/advertisements I create a long tube that I shaped/rounded securing with tape as I went along until I had a doughnut like shape I was happy with! 
DO NOT stress if this is not a perfect (or even close to perfect) shape just yet, as it will be covered with fabric.
If you would like to see a more detailed step by step break down of how I create the center of my wreaths feel free to do that on a previous Wreath Tutorial 
I shared which you can find HERE 

Step 2. Wrap with Black Feather Boas. 
As shows in the Images below, using a hot glue gun start by adhering the end of your boa at any point on your wreath. You will want to try and separate the feathers & find the small rope on the center and glue this down as it will be very difficult to properly attack the loose feathers to your recycled paper doughnut core.  
DIY Arachnophobia Nest Wreath By: Upcy
Step 3. Continue Adding Boas as necessary
Continue wrapping the boa around the doughnut core adhering it by the center rope as you feel necessary to secure it. When adding your second, third, or possibly forth boas be sure to tuck the end of the new boas under the previous one to ensure a seamless transition. 


Step 4. Add Spiders & Your choice of Decorative Details
Once your entire wreath is completely covered in feathers begin adding the spiders to your wreath in clusters, spread throughout, crawling up one side, however you'd like! 
Note: Before adding the spiders to my wreath I wanted to dress them up a bit so I added dark purple and black glitter to them using Mod Podge for my little touch of glitter - 
*be sure to allow them to dry completely before adding if you choose to do this as well

Step 5. & Your choice of Decorative Details
Don't be scared to get creative with it, & add any touches that you'd like, I decided to add a small cluster of Dark Plum/Purple Flowers to mine as you can see in the photos below, for a touch of colour & to really make the Purple glitter I used on the sliders POP!
Arachnophobia Nest Wreath By: Upcy
I hope you enjoyed this DIY & remember to ALWAYS
Dream Big     Sparkle More      Shine Bright

No comments:

Post a Comment