Search This Blog

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

DIY Yarn Wall Hanging

Wall Hanging By: Upcy
Spring is here, and after such a long cold winter there is nothing quite like getting rid of the resulting clutter of winter hibernation & giving your home a little sprucing up to really welcome the change of season! I am by no means suggesting you go out and buy new items to do this, not only does it defeat the purpose "Spring Cleaning", it's unnecessary; with a few snips of your scissors you can create a cute Wall Hanging to freshen up any room, in just 3 easy steps & less than 30 minutes!
I have been seeing these Wall Hanging's all over the place made up of just about any and every material imaginable! I love the natural look of them, I think they have such a cozy vibe! - The first one I did I featured in a previous post No Winter Lasts Forever, No Spring Skips It's Turn . 

All You Need:

- A Stick 
- Yarn, of any colour(s) - I chose turquoise, and two tones of ivory/off white to create mine.
- Scissors

How To:

The first thing you are going to want to think about is what shape you want your Wall Hanging to fall. Depending on the shape you want this may or may not come into play for the next step. For some tips/advice on different ways you can shape your Wall Hanging scroll to the bottom of this post (Steps 2 & 2.5). 
Step 1. Begin Cutting your Yarn to length
- As a reference, I cut the strips on this one between 1 & 2 feet long . 


Step 2. Attach yarn by looping around the stick . See image(s) below. 
I attached the yarn in bundles of 10-15 to achieve this full/fluffy look. 
I was also looking to create a shabby V shape with a very natural gradient effect - I achieved this look by cutting all of the pieces of yarn to different lengths. Some shorter ones that I attached towards the outer portions & tapering longer towards the center. This also made for a very relaxed care-free project to do as It wasn't necessary for me to measure each piece - I more or less eye balled it
Wall Hanging By: Upcy
Wall Hanging By: Upcy
OR attach the yarn strips individually as seen below.
Picture From: Annie Marie Loves
Step 2.5 (Optional). Trim yarn to shape.
If you wanted a more rigid / clean cut look. (straight across, diagonal, sharp V) this could be achieves by cutting all the pieces to a standard length and then cutting the shape out after all have been attached to the stick!

Step 3. Attach Yarn to Hang
Cut a piece of yarn & tie it to each end of the stick to create a loop to hang it from.  
Display with pride!
Wall Hanging By: Upcy
 Wall Hanging By:Upcy
Wall Hanging By: Upcy
Dream Big Sparkle More Shine Bright

No comments:

Post a Comment